Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Keychain Weirdness

I rebooted my PowerMac for the first time in a few weeks and when it came back up again, Mac OS X was demanding access to the "System" keychain. Weird, but I figured some update must have happened that required an update to Keychain. So I entered my password -- the password I use for all of the system stuff on that machine -- and it told me I was wrong.

In all these years of using Macs, I've never had one do that (well, not when I knew the password was right). I'm tempted to delete the keychain file and let it rebuild it but a) it's for Airport, and doing that may fubar my wireless connection b) I'm not sure if anything bad will happen when I do that and c) it doesn't appear to be affecting anything. The Mac can still join the wireless network, and isn't throwing any other errors. Rather than be hasty, I'm going to chat with a few Mac folks at work tomorrow (one of the many great things about my new job is that most of the people I work with are Mac people) to see if they can think of a possible work around.

It's an annoying error, but better than the ones I'm seeing on my wife's Viao, which spontaneously decides to freeze up while running on battery power.

Ugh. A geek's work is never done.

No comments: