Monday, February 14, 2005

Weighting to Lose

Like most thirtysomething geeks, I've gotten a little rounder around the middle as the years have progressed. And like most, I've long thought about doing something about it. Well, the time for that has come.

Actually, it arrived back in the fall, when I found that I was starting to press the limits of my 38 waist jeans, and realized that I really, really did not want to jump to a 40 waist. It became my line in the sand, and after stepping off the scale -- and seeing that it had registered 220 lbs -- I decided to take action.

Now mind you, at 6'2", I was far from portly -- just a little rounder in the face, with a gut that extended further than I'd like.

My solution to this problem is not to go on a crash diet (which I've never tried, but which never seem to work with other folks) but rather to slowly modify my own behaviors. I've greatly reduced the amount of soda I drink, going to about one can a day, and drinking either water or watered-down apple juice instead. With Sue's help, I've been packing a lunch, which helps considerably -- if I skip lunch, I'm too hungry when I get home, and eat more than I should. I'm also making a conscious effort to eat smaller portions.

Diet is only part of it though -- I'm also trying to get more excercise. That's hard to do in the winter, and harder still with a kid around, but I've been able to get some in by doing little things. Instead of parking next to my building at work, I park on the far side of campus and walk. When I have meetings, I make an effort to go to other people's offices, and if it's nice, I talk a lunchtime walk.

Basically, it comes down to eat least, eat better, exercise more.

What has this yielded me? Well, I'm now down to 205 lbs. My guess is that I can probably lose another five pounds or so by continuing to do what I'm doing, which should allow me to fit comfortable into my 36 waist jeans (I can fit into them somewhat uncomfortably now).

My goal though, is to get down to 185 lbs, and that's going to take some actual work. As in ... actual exercise. Sue and I are talking about how to fit that sort of thing into our schedules, but I think it's doable (particularly if I can get to work early in the morning, and get some consistent exercise in, followed by a good walk when I get home). The plan -- and I don't know how realistic this is -- is to get down to 185 (or at least into the high 180s) by June.

So why blog about it? Well, it increases the pressure a bit, and gives the whole endevour a focal point -- now it's not just something I've talked about in my head, but something I've actually written about. And that could make the difference.

No comments: