Friday, April 22, 2005

Mutagenic Growth Rays from Outer Space

Over the last few weeks, I've been noticing an increase in the number of people writing me about Nuketown, usually via the feedback form. Last night I confirmed what I'd suspected: the webzine saw a big spike in traffic last month; total traffic to the articles on the web site increased from about 19,000 in February to 25,000 in March.

And I don't know why.

I'm going to play around with my web reports a bit more, to see if I can figure out if a specific section was responsible for the spike in traffic, but looking at the Statistics page, I don't see anything that stands out as being responsible for another 6,000 visits.

I suspect that it may be a couple of different lesser factors coming together to create a wave of traffic. For one, I've been writing more hoax debunkings, but interestingly, none of the recent ones are in the Top 5 stories. Another possible factor is Radio Active, which debuted in March. And yet, while the podcast feed has been rapidly gaining traffic, the Podcast show notes rarely hit the Top 20 lists.

The other big question, of course, is whether or not this is a permanent increase, or just a fluke. Right now, traffic for April has already exceeded February's, so it may very well end up being a sustained jump. Which would be great of course, but I would love to know exactly what I did to increase the traffic.

No comments: