Sunday, April 03, 2005

The Rising

The Delaware is once again proving that it is nothing to be triffled with. After heavy reasons that lasted most of Friday and Saturday, the river stood at 33.40 feet, which is just a hair under where it crested back when Ivan came through. But it's not supposed to stop there; the Express-Times says that the river will crest Monday at 35.90 feet.

Whoa.

What's this all mean? Well, based on what happened last time and what I already know, Route 611 is under water, as is Larry Holmes Drive. The parking lot for the Gov. Wolf building is probably underwater, and I hate to think what's happened to Frank & Dot's (which is where we usually buy our beer). And they closed the free bridge; last time around, the water was lapping at the bridge's underside; I imagine it'll be even worse this time.

As for us ... we're in pretty good shape. We live up on College Hill, which overlooks the river, so we'll be fine (although Eddyside Park, which where the neighbhorhood swimming pool is, is apparently underwater). We had a few scary moments Saturday night when the power went out. No power meant no sump pump, which mean a hell of a lot of water in our basement if I didn't start bailing. Fortunately, the power came on after about 15 minutes, and the pump was able to kick in again. It does have us thinking about buying a battery-powered sump pump ... just in case.

I'll try and snag some photos of the flood and post them tomorrow; I'm not sure whether or not I'm going to work; if they close the Route 22 bridge too, I'm screwed, commute-wise.

No comments: