Wednesday, May 18, 2005

"Dude, Where's My Printer?"

The Mac OS X Tiger annoyances continue. Last night, while trying to print out some documents, I discovered that both of my printers--a relatively know Canon photo printer, and a positively ancient HP LaserJet--had been purged from my PowerMac. I was able to restore the Canon using a generic printer driver (I'll be searching for an updated official one this weekend) but the LaserJet is a dicier proposition, as Mac OS X uses Print GIMP to connect.

It annoys me that this OS upgrade broke something so essential as printers, and given Apple's strength in publishing, it seems to me they should go out of their way to a) either not break printer connections or b) if they do break them, notify the user that they're gone. How hard would it be to run a system utility before the upgrade noting what devices were available, and then running a comparison utility after the upgrade to figure out which ones were missing ... and to then notify the user?

To me, it's all part of the emerging "Not Quite Ready for Prime Time" theme of Mac OS 10.4; yeah, it's got some neat features, but man, it could really have used six more months of refinement.

No comments: