Tuesday, May 17, 2005

The German Spamkrieg

I'm getting swamped with German spam at my work e-mail account, most of it connected to the 60th anniversary of World War II, some dealing with Muslims in Europe. Yahoo has a story about it; in a nutshell, someone re-engineered the Sober virus to send out a deluge of propaganda relating to the war, and discussing such subjects as the firebombing of Dresden by the allies and the "honor killing" murder of a Muslim woman in German by her three brothers, who were upset that she'd taken up western ways.

Some of its in German, some of its in English; all of it appears to be landing in my inbox. I've lost count of just how much spam I've received, but it's got to be over 50 messages since yesterday. That's huge for my work account, which rarely sees any spam (maybe 10-20 a day, if that). Strangely, my Nuketown accounts, which get hundreds of spam messages a day, haven't seen any of this German Spamkrieg.

No comments: