Wednesday, May 11, 2005

The Tiger's Claw

I broke down and got Mac OS X Tiger for my home Macs (its still en route for my work computers). The installation on my PowerMac went smoothly, but the iBook G3 was more problematic. For the first time ever during an upgrade, the installation refused to proceed on the first try, saying that "an error occured, please try again." Another try yielded similar results, so I decided to use Disk Utility to repair the permissions on the drive.

This worked, allowing me to install the OS, but when it rebooted and launched into Tiger for the first time, it hung at the opening "Apple" screen. After giving it an hour, I powered down the machine and rebooted again; this time it went off without a hitch and launched into Tiger.

So far, I'm liking it. Tiger seems more responsive than Panther on my iBook, and I was very pleased to see that Dashboard ran without a hitch on that laptop; I'd been concerned that it wouldn't have enough horsepower to handle it. Dashboard allows you to run a host of Widgets, which remain hidden except when summoned. I'm particularly liking the weather and TV widgets; no more running out to Weather.com or TVGuide.com for me; now I just have to hit "F8".

Spotlight--Apple's built-in desktop search--is nice and fast, but it's annoying that you can't save a Spotlight search as a Smart Folder (rather, you have to do a search through the Finder, which uses a more limited version of the Spotlight interface).

No comments: