Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Temporarily FUBAR'd

For reasons I don't fully understand, Nuketown is currently down. I think it has something to do with my Web server suddenly having issues with the various PHP includes on the site (non-PHP include pages for stuff like my old Pirates campaign are working just fine). I'm not ruling out a database problem, but the includes seem the likely suspect.

When I contacting my hosting provider after getting an error logging into the MySQL database, their initial response was "What MySQL database? We're not showing that account has one ..." This despite the fact that several minutes before I got their response, I was able to get into the database.

Hopefully things will be back normal sooner, rather than later, but with tech, you never know.

Later ...

So it seems to be a combination of things. Partly me being stupid for not closing out some of my "mysql_query" strings properly, partly my hosting company for messing with the server config without telling me, thus causing all of my PHP include files to melt down.

The result? Well, on the home page, lots of SQL errors. On the sub pages, lots of nothing. On the plus side, now that I know what the problem is, I can start fixing it.

It's going to be a damn long night.

Much later ...

It's done. With the exception of the troublesome Links section, Nuketown is fully functional. I still need to restore the sites for my D&D and Spycraft campaigns, but at least the ol'thermonuclear burg is back online. And it only took me four hours to fix it...

5 comments:

Jesse said...

The chronicles of a volunteer web-developer. A thing of beauty. :)

Ken Newquist said...

lol. yeah, no kidding. Gotta love how this sort of thing happens just hours before I was supposed to leave on a 10-day vacation...

Anonymous said...

Links still snafu?

Ken Newquist said...

Everything on Nuketown proper should be working fine now. The old Griffin's Crier is still down, but the new GriffCrier.com is up. I'm going to be setting up redirects from the old site to the new one.

Is there something in particular you've found that isn't working?

Ken Newquist said...

I figured out what you meant about the links being snafu; yes the links section had been down, but I managed to get it all back online this weekend.