Monday, June 12, 2006

NT Redesign: Features, Registration, Breadcrumbs

The weekend wasn't quite as productive as I'd hoped, but I still managed to get all but one of the standing features over to the new site, I've setup the registration process (now with an improved e-mail notice letting folks know when their accounts are active) and the breadcrumbs module (which shows you where you are within the site).

I've got a few more modules to install (Google Analytics, Hall of Fame Statistics) but those should be easy. The "Similar Entries" module, which I installed this morning, is working but is displaying HTML entities (the encoded versions of things like apostrophes) as code rather than as symbols, so I need to fix that.

The two big sections of the site that still need to be ported are ones being driven by databases independent of Drupal: the Links page and the Geek Tree. Transferring them should be straightforward; it's just a question of getting a good block of time to back everything up and get it all moved. The NukeShop won't be ported in its current form -- if it arrives at all it'll be via a Drupal module that I need to test later this week on the old PowerMac.

Once all this is done (and it should be done this week) I'll open the site to beta testing, and focus my attention on managing the transition. There are a lot of pages on the old Nuketown who's URLs will change on the new one, and I need to work out a way to make sure everyone can find the new pages.

No comments: