Friday, June 09, 2006

NT Redesign: Powering Up

Nuketown's main drives are now online, the habitat ring is spinning up, and minimal life support has been established. Which means that things are going pretty damn well on the ol'thermonuclear burg front -- I've ported over about 90% of the content from the site, which is basically all of the news and reviews from 2001 through to March 2006. I'll be manually moving over the content from March to now, partly to test of the systems, partly because I'm too lazy to modify my MySQL dump scripts to accommodate Drupal 4.7's new node structure.

I've ported all of the new categories over from my local Nuke-Drupal setup, and connected them to the primary navigation, which will consist of the following links (which evoke earlier incarnations of Nuketown):
  • Blog
  • Bookshelf
  • City Hall
  • Gameroom
  • Hoax Central
  • Linkport
  • Music Hall
  • Theatre
  • Podcast

Yeah, some of those names are kind of cutesy, but I needed a better way of naming the primary categories since simply writing "Books" didn't cover the other print products I review, like magazines and comic books.

I received a Google Analytics account earlier this week, and will be adding it to the new site this weekend. Analytics is useful for tracking traffic on your Web site, and coupled with Drupal's own internal reporting tools, it should help me fine tune Nuketown like never before.

A few minor CSS issues have turned up over the last two days, but I'm not overly concerned about them -- a night's worth of tinkering should solve that. Instead of messing with CSS I'm going to focus on porting stories to the new site, getting all of the modules I want to use installed, and working out the inevitable file-upload headaches (which require messing around with Unix permissions, and can be either easy or hard to resolve, depending on my host). With any luck, we'll be beta testing within a week.

No comments: