Saturday, June 03, 2006

NT Redesign: Registration, Related Links, Search

One of the problems I encountered in the earlier Nuketown beta was that folks tried to login after they got their user name and password, but before I had approved them. I've solved that problem with the "Extended User Status" module, which allows me to send a message notifying folks when their account has been approved. I need to tweak it a bit so that it sends the username/password in the activation e-mail, rather than the "you've created an account but it needs to be approved" e-mail, but it should help considerably.

I also added a "related stories" module that lists the top five related links for each story in the database, which is something I do now on Nuketown, and wanted to replicate on the new site. I'm very pleased with the search feature built into Drupal 4.7, which offers users a fine degree of granularity in searching the site -- it's going to be a real quantum leap improvement.

I did find some lingering formatting issues involving the forum, but I don't plan to have the forum active when the site launches, partly because the old Nuketown forum didn't see a lot of traffic, partly because I'm not thrilled with Drupal's formatting of forums, and mostly because when commenting is turned on for all of Nuketown's posts, it won't really be needed.

No comments: