Friday, March 18, 2005

Geeking Out

I got to do the bachelor thing last night, as Sue and Jordan were out at a Longaberger Basket party, so I geeked out and spent the entire evening reading comic books and watching X-Men 2.

If you'd like an indication of the sort of impacting having a kid has on my ability to geek out on a regular basis, I was reading comics that I bought in October and I got X2 for Christmas, but only just now had time to watch it.

I got caught up on the time-tripping storyline in Superman/Batman, which isn't as good as the first half-dozen or so issues that launched the series (mostly because of the constant jumping around, which interfered with rather than enhanced the story) but it was still a fun read. I also read through my X-men books; I enjoyed the "New Brotherhood" arc with Black Tom and Juggernaut, but I really, really wish they'd just kill of Xorn once and for all. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief when it comes to comic book physics, but come on, a guy with a black hole for a brain?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, man, cut Xorn some slack - after all, he is, like, the ONLY thing from the Grant Morrison run that isn't completely and totally lame.
Me? I'm still waiting to see Beak and New Angel (the fly chick) get gunned down by a hate group.

Ken Newquist said...

If memory serves, Morrison "New X-Men" run went from the school storyline up to the far-future "evil Beast" storyline, right?

I hated everything in the current timeline; lame, lame and lamier (particularly the bits with Magneto, though apparently he wasn't the real Magneto). But I enjoyed the future timeline stuff, particularly the kid with the Sentinel sidekick, and Beast's army of Nightcrawlers (nothing quite like a wave of *bamf* making its way across the Atlantic...)