Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Spycraft 2.0?

GamingReport.com has a blurb about Alderac's new lineup, including a mention of Spycraft 2.0:
"The Spycraft RPG has been a staple in the RPG industry now since it was released in 2002...three years later, we bring you Spycraft RPG 2.0! Updated and re-tooled for better gaming on your players part! A brand new, more focused skill system, as well as a chase/dramatic situations system that will blow your socks off! The Spycraft CCG is no longer carrying the D20 logo, as it has grown into its own and differs from the way that system works. This new system is definitely what you and your customers need for expert espionage roleplaying! Releasing in July, 2005."

Now you'll note that this mentions the "Spycraft CCG"; I'm assuming that's a typo, given the context of the rest of the paragraph (and that the paragraph after it specifically discusses the collectible card game).

The forums have a discussion of what this means, and no, Alderac isn't dumping d20 entirely. The game's going "open gaming license" instead, which basically means that a) they can include all the rules for leveling up a character in the game and b) as a result, they can no longer display the d20 logo.

I think this makes a lot of sense; both Spycraft and Stargate suffered from relying on the D&D Player's Handbook for advancement. Heck, I'm an experienced player and I still got confused by their cryptic references to what was needed from the PHB.

That said, I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude with Spycraft 2.0. If it does what I want to it to do (overhaul the mastermind system based on the Fixer/Pointman splatbook, incorporate NPC classes, pull together the myriad backgrounds and feats from the assorted source books) then I'll consider converting. Otherwise, I'm content to stick with the hodgepodge I know, rather than the one I don't.

No comments: