Thursday, January 06, 2005

FTP Clients

Although much of the Web is moving toward content management systems with web-based front ends, I still spend a good amount of time mucking around with FTP programs.

On the Mac side, my preferred FTP client is Panic's Transmit, a full-featured with a very user friendly interface. Creating and editing bookmarks to local and remote folders is a snap.

On the Windows, the hat tip goes to CuteFTP, which has a polished, simplistic interface and a bevy of options. Bookmarking (which I do frequently) is simple, but managing bookmarks is not. Actually, I haven't figured out how to do that yet -- I can add bookmarks, but I can't change or delete them. Still, it's the best FTP client I've found on the Dark Side.

Both programs are trialware; you can use them for a limited amount of time before you're required to register them (actually, I think Transmit will continue to work, but with a greatly reduced feature set) but both are worth the money.

No comments: