Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Good-bye iBlog, Hello Blogger!

So why, a few days after writing that I'd probably stick with iBlog, have I switched to Blogger? The answer is simple: the free trial on iBlog expired today, and after a near instantaneous evaluation in which I considered my free time and finances, I decided that a) I wasn't going to have the time I needed to incorporate comments into iBlog's pages, and b) the ol'personal budget can't handle the $20 something fee for registering iBlog.

So I went back to Plan A, which was to use Google's free Blogger service.

Blogger touts some not-insignificant advantages above and beyond price. Although I lost the "subcategories" I had on the iBlogged site, I gained the ability to post from anywhere and even to submit posts via e-mail. I also gained integrated comments and a much-more attractive site template (because I have just as little time to redesign the blog's look as I do to figure out how to incorporate third-party comments.

I still consider iBlog to be a pretty darn nifty product, but at this point in time, it just isn't meeting my needs.

As for The Atomic Age, I've ported over all the posts from the old site, screwing up the timestamps in the process but aside from that they've made the trip relatively intact.

No comments: