Thursday, January 20, 2005

Pattern Recognition

I started listening to William Gibson's Pattern Recognition last night, which features the most wildly neurotic protagonist I've seen since Douglas Adam's Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. The lead character, Cayce, is a "cool hunter" who flies around the world looking for new trends for corporations to exploit. Her particular bit strangeness? She's allergic to high fashion and corporate marketing; the Michelin Man sends her into hives, and she's has to wear the most utilitarian of clothes.

Yep, it's weird all right, but come on, this is the guy who gave us Neuromancer, so what did you expect? I'm enjoying the book more than I thought I would -- Gibson's plugged into modern day net culture surprisingly well, and I couldn't help but smile when Case runs into a guy in London collecting Timex-Sinclair computers. Casual fans might decry the book's lack of cyberpunk, but so far, this thing reads like vintage Gibson.

No comments: