Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Where's Apple's Blogging Tool?

So I've been playing around with iBlog some more, and while I like the application, there are a few things I wish it would do that it doesn't -- like syncing up files between multiple Macs. This got me to wondering why Apple hasn't taken the logical step of releasing its own blogging tool as part of the "iLife" suite.

It would make a hell of a lot of sense -- they've got .mac (a suite of internet services that includes data syching, web hosting and e-mail), they've got excellent consumer video and music editing tools, and they've got the know how to make the entire experience seamless.

Instead, Apple seems content to rely on its Web page templates, which are supposed to be the "quick and easy" way of publishing Web pages, photos and videos to .mac. Yeah right. Blogger is easy. iBlog is easy. MoveableType is allegedly easy (I haven't used it). Messing with Apple's .mac templates just gives me a headache, particularly when I try and do simple things, like say make all my web pages share a common look and feel. I suppose it's adequate for those who want nothing more than to post a very, very simple web page, but it's 2005 and even complete technological idiots can create a nice-liking, consistent web site using free online tools.

It's time for Apple to ditch the templates and give us a blogging tool that fully exploits the power of their iLife suite.

No comments: